Catholic church- The Exaltation of the Holy Cross parish


Catholic church ,,The Exaltation of the Holy Cross“ was built in 1884. in Nis, after liberation of the Ottoman Empire, when the city was inhabited by over 200 Catholics. Niš has become the first city where it was established catholic parish in Sebia. Catholics in Nis and elsewhere were mostly employed on construction of railroad Belgrade-Thessaloniki and Nis-Istambul, as well as miners and professional workers who were employed in mines and industrial enterprises. Almost four decades later, in 1925., the church was rebuilt and extended, and a tower was built next to it. In early 1934., the floor was built in Catholic church in Jug Bogdanova Street according to project of an architect from Nis, Julijan Đupon. Chruch assumed its final shape in 2007. when renovation and new parish house was completed.